Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
Topic:
Applying for Decree Absolute myself (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
23 February, 2018 02:54PM
Applying for Decree Absolute myself
bengalgirl - 23 February, 2018 02:54PM
Hi,
I'm already nearly 15k down and still not divorced and finances still not agreed on. Second hearing is in a few weeks.
I'm horrified at how much it's already cost so I need to be a bit more pro active to try and save money. My Decree Nisi came a few months ago so I would like to know if I can apply for my Decree Absolute without the aid of my solicitor. I want to get my divorce asap as it will make a difference to my state pension which is tiny at the moment and at the moment I'm living from hand to mouth.
Re: Applying for Decree Absolute myself
davidterry - 23 February, 2018 05:39PM
If you used a solicitor for your divorce you will not save costs by applying for decree absolute yourself because your solicitor will still expect to be paid. It is a bit like trying to avoid an estate agent's commission by selling a house privately after instructing an estate agent. The cost of applying for decree absolute will be negligible and will almost certainly have been in the price originally quoted for the divorce.
bengalgirl - 23 February, 2018 06:35PM
Thank you for your reply David. I am paying for my divorce bit by bit and requesting itemised bills every few months so that everything is up front. As yet the Decree Absolute is not part of the equation. EVERY penny counts, so I'm trying to cut future costs.
davidterry - 23 February, 2018 06:57PM
Like I said, next to nothing will be saved in terms of cost by doing this because the work involved in applying for decree absolute is trivial. The actual work involved in obtaining a divorce is incurred up to and including decree nisi which is when the court pronounces itself satisfied that the petitioner is entitled to a divorce. Regardless of that there are often good reasons why it is prudent not to apply for decree absolute. By all means dismiss your solicitor, pay the bill and act as a litigant in person if you want. There is nothing wrong with that. However, applying for decree absolute yourself while having a solicitor who acts on your behalf is a recipe for utter confusion. The left hand will not know what the right hand is doing and there may be consequences of which you are unaware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.