Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Vulnerable elderly family friend (3 Posts)
Started By:
05 February, 2018 11:18PM
Vulnerable elderly family friend
nedmoran - 05 February, 2018 11:18PM
A family friend who is 66 and has been separated from his wife for nearly 5 years, having been married for around 40 years. Two grown children. He has remained in the family home. Moving out 5 years ago she now wants a divorce and he is agreeing. However we are concerned with the settlement. House value is c.£550k. She plans to move back in or sell the property. She has convinced him that he should only take £40k!!! while she keeps the remainder. The problem is that he is a recovering alcoholic and we feel that the £40k. will be spent very quickly if he returns to his old ways. He does not work and relies on benefits. The wife has convinced him that he will easily get a council flat. To top it all off she has convinced him to use her solicitor.
Q. What can be done to ensure a fair divorce? How can we, as non family intervene or direct professional advice towards him? Surely as a vulnerable person there is some sort of protection of his rights? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Vulnerable elderly family friend
Andyk - 06 February, 2018 05:13AM
For a start they cannot both use the same firm of solicitors, that is not allowed due to conflict of interest and her solicitor should be telling him that. You just need to persuade him to see his own.
Re: Vulnerable elderly family friend
davidterry - 06 February, 2018 11:11AM
1. He should not allow her to move back in and he should make sure he has changed the locks to make sure that she cannot just walk back in. Five years away is far too long for it to be reasonable for her to expect to walk back in.

2. It is imperative he seeks his own independent legal advice. Persuading him to do that is the best service you can render this person. What is being proposed by his wife is plain wrong and unfair.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.