Topic:
Wife emptied my bank account. (9 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
29 January, 2018 04:43PM
Wife emptied my bank account.
BlueSky - 29 January, 2018 04:43PM
Hello, I need some advice.
When my wife decided to split up, she left in the middle of the night. On the way, she emptied my pockets - cash, credit and debit cards.
Then, from an ATM around the corner, she withdrew as much cash as she could - around £2K.
She admitted it in the messages, but refused to refund any money.
The particular accounts are in my sole name.
Is there anything I could do prior to divorce?
Re: Wife emptied my bank account.
davidterry - 29 January, 2018 06:25PM
Probably not except to make sure that she cannot repeat the trick and to get a divorce as soon as possible.Chasing money like this usually costs more than it's worth and if it's been spent then it's gone.
Maddie - 30 January, 2018 09:58AM
My husband has taken £5k from me too. It doesn't look very hopeful for me either. It's bloody frustrating!! I guess the only way to win out of a situation like this is to move on and be happy. Easier said than done but eventually we won't care anymore and will be in a much better place.
BlueSky - 30 January, 2018 11:46AM
Thank you for replying David.
It's not the money but the principle.
Would it be possible to take her to the small claim court while we are married?
davidterry - 30 January, 2018 12:19PM
It is possible to do many things. Whether those things are sensible is a completely different matter.
BlueSky - 30 January, 2018 12:56PM
Definitely not sensible, and it might sound childish, but...
There was domestic violence (toward me), falls allegations which led to my arrest etc., so I need some sort of closure before I can move on.
I just wasn't sure that it's possible to take a spouse to the small claims court.
I know that I won't get my money back, but CCJ would be enough.
davidterry - 30 January, 2018 02:24PM
>>I need some sort of closure before I can move on.

To do that you get a divorce and settle the financial issues between you once for all within the context of that divorce.

Just as a matter of interest whenever one hears about domestic violence it always seems to be about husbands abusing their wives. As a divorce lawyer I can tell you that domestic violence by wives against husbands is much more common than most people seem to realise. So, unfortunately, are false allegations.

This is one thing which bothers me a great deal about reporting in the media these days. Allegations seem to be treated as though they are always true. Experience tells me that is rarely the case. Some allegations are true. Some are not. The presumption should always be innocent until proven guilty.

In his Commentaries on the Laws of England (1769), Blackstone wrote that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer."

Sadly today's mob mentality seems to think the reverse is true.
BlueSky - 30 January, 2018 05:19PM
>> domestic violence by wives against husbands is much more common
and much more fierce.

Exactly what I was told by the police.

It was followed by the allegations of coercive control and emotional abuse, and then (her application for legal aid was unsuccessful) I was arrested on allegations of rape.

>> This is one thing which bothers me a great deal about reporting in the media these days. Allegations seem to be treated as though they are always true.

In the media, in the neighbourhoods etc.
Then, when it has been repeated 100 times, the word "allegations" disappears, and the rest of the phrase is acknowledged as a known fact.
davidterry - 30 January, 2018 06:04PM
I am not sure it is much more common but it is certainly more common than people are led to believe by accounts they read in the media which are almost invariably about domestic abuse by men.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.