Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Advice please (4 Posts)
Started By:
15 January, 2018 11:09AM
Advice please
moonstar980 - 15 January, 2018 11:09AM
My husband has recently left me. We jointly own the house - there is no mortgage.
He has said he wants the house sold as soon as possible to get his "share".

I don't want to sell any time soon. I work from home and in order for me to keep my job I need to continue working from home. It will be very difficult trying to find the time to sell and look for somewhere else that is suitable for me to work from home.

My question is this - is this a valid or good reason for not wanting to sell the house.

He has stopped talking to me and I know that we wont be looking at finances until he has filed the petition
I'm just trying to get ahead of the game
Thank you
Re: Advice please
Andyk - 15 January, 2018 11:32AM
Whether he gets his share really depends on everything else in the pot that you are fighting over. Are there any savings or investments, pensions, debts, are there any dependent children, how old are you both, what do each of your earn, how long have you been married? These all need to be considered when talking about splitting the finances.

If you have been married a long time, same age, no dependent children, earnings and pensions the same then you might be looking at a 50/50 split and if you want to remain in the house you would need to be able to find the money to pay him his share, that might mean giving up more of the savings or perhaps not touching his pension. it is all about the figures when you are divorcing.
Re: Advice please
moonstar980 - 15 January, 2018 12:28PM
Thanks for the reply. I understand about the split etc. I worded my query badly. What i meant was can I resist or delay the sale of the house (when we finally get around to discussing finances) until I have had plenty of time to find suitable accomodation.
There are no children.
In other words, if we do end up in court, and the Judge says say a 50/50 split, is he likely to agree the house sale can be delayed for me to find something suitable?
Re: Advice please
davidterry - 15 January, 2018 02:40PM
>>What i meant was can I resist or delay the sale of the house (when we finally get around to discussing finances) until I have had plenty of time to find suitable accommodation.

No, not unless your husband agrees. There are no dependent children so there is no reason why a sale should be delayed. What you are overlooking is that a delay in sale would keep your husband out of whatever he is due. You would not only the utilising something which belonged to you. You would also utilising something which belonged to him.

People often put forward reasons similar to this for delaying a sale which really amount to an unwillingness to deal with the consequences of sale by trying to put off the evil day. Courts are rarely impressed by such arguments and usually take the view that once a time scale is known people will try to deal with it.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.