Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Child Support (5 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
07 November, 2017 10:49PM
Child Support
wolv3rene - 07 November, 2017 10:49PM
Not sure if this can be answered here but I thought I would give it a go.

Recently divorced from my cheating thieving ex and after payout after payout I thought I was finally rid of her.

History is she now lives in a paid for house with her 70yr old boyfriend, I honestly feel sorry for the guy as she is obviously going to bleed him dry, she is 43, I recently paid her off with half the house leaving myself homeless and she got 32k in cash, I'm using mine as a deposit for a house.

Recently she has asked for support for the children, when I say children I mean grown up boys, well one is 21 and doesn't want anything to do with me because she's polluted his head and now he spends most of his life talking to a psychiatrist, he lives with his Russian gf who is twice his age so I'm not sure where I ft in there, she's gradually working on the other one who is 17.

I'm happy to support my kids, however one is now a man who should be supporting himself, the other I give cash to on a monthly basis and ask him if he ever needs anything to just ask.

As his father I know I am legally expected to provide until he finishes full time education however I fully expect her to take things to the limit, just wanted to be fully equipped with knowledge just in case, as they are now a new couple does this change things?

I intend to start a new family of my own soon too.
Re: Child Support
Andyk - 08 November, 2017 03:50AM
becaise she is living with someone doesnt make any difference to the child maintenance issue, only spousal maintenance if she was awarded that and you have the usual triggers about cohabitation etc.

Personally I would say to her that you are paying him £x but if she wants to have it paid to her then fine but make it clear that you won't then give him any and that anything he needs would have to come from the money you pay her.

Good luck with starting your new family.
wolv3rene - 08 November, 2017 07:33AM
Is there and age limit this goes to, I am not sure if this is correct but I read somewhere up to 18 or until the end of secondary education whichever is sooner?
Andyk - 08 November, 2017 08:19AM
Usually up until the time they leave full time education, not sure if this is 18 or if it will continue if they go to Uni
jill_of_all_trades - 08 November, 2017 08:50AM
I would keep doing what you are doing and keep records and possibly send a solicitor's letter stating you are paying the 17 year old directly. Different situation but my ex somehow NEVER seems to find the time/opportunity to sort out the needs of my 16 year old.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.