Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
1st Divorce Hearing in Court - What to expect? (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
07 November, 2017 10:22AM
1st Divorce Hearing in Court - What to expect?
MikeStr - 07 November, 2017 10:22AM
Hi, I am new here, and hopefully I am in the right place to ask this advice?

After separating last year and spending most of this year with a Lawyer, trying to sort the financials (no children involved) I have my date for the 1st court hearing at a local court.

I just wanted to know what to expect as this all sounds very daunting.

Does anyone have any advice?
I have been told that my solicitor will do all the talking but as its quite nerve wracking (never been to court for anything before) I also wanted some advice on :

1. What to wear? smart casual, jacket, shirt, shoes?

2. What to take? I do have most of my documents etc

3. How long this first meeting will go on for, and what will be asked etc

Thank you for any help.
Re: 1st Divorce Hearing in Court - What to expect?
Bustedlanda - 07 November, 2017 11:00AM
I have never been to any hearings divorce related but have been to court on a few occasions without solicitors. You will be fine!

I'd personally wear a shit and tie.

Your solicitor is there to guide you through the entire thing. They are expensive but for a very good reason.

Good luck.
davidterry - 07 November, 2017 12:25PM
If you are represented by a solicitor the first appointment is likely to be a formality and you would not ordinarily be called upon to say anything. The hearing is usually simply to enable the court to direct what needs to be done before the case is ready for the next stage. This means that provision might need to be made for any property to be valued, for the possible division of pensions, for each side answering any questionnaire prepared by the other etc. The point is the directions required in any given case tend to be obvious to both sides as well as the court if both sides are legally represented. Therefore the directions are often agreed in advance which brings the amount of time you are in court down to a minimum.

Occasionally a first appointment can be used as an FDR if the case is ready and both sides want that but if that is not the case what will happen will very likely be as described above. Although courts are not as formal as they used to be they do still expect people to dress with some decorum so smart casual is normally how people go to court.
MikeStr - 08 November, 2017 09:55AM
Thank you for your replies.

We have completed and about to exchange the Form E, so questionnaires have not arisen yet.. i believe these questionnaires are then answered on the day in court?

The offer my side put forward, was just ignored and no other offer put forward? so now it has come to this unfortunately. The whole thing is down to the financial split.

I am thinking smart jeans (not denim) smart shirt and jacket with shoes at the hearing, it looks smart and I am used to this attire working in the city, so smart casual would be best.
davidterry - 08 November, 2017 10:15AM
>>We have completed and about to exchange the Form E, so questionnaires have not arisen yet.. i believe these questionnaires are then answered on the day in court?

No. Each side will be given time (typically 21 or 28 days) to answer any questionnaire. How much time really rather depends upon what information is sought. Some takes longer than others to obtain or locate.
Bustedlanda - 08 November, 2017 11:32AM
Your outfit will be fine. I work in the city too!
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.