Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Calculating child maintenance when moving abroad (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
27 October, 2017 02:42PM
Calculating child maintenance when moving abroad
Genisis99 - 27 October, 2017 02:42PM
Hi,

I am considering taking a new role in the Far East and wondering how child maintenance is calculated? I am currently at the initial stage of divorce and going through first mediation. I am currently paying maintenance based on CMA calculator on my p60 earning for the last tax year.

If I enter my Potential new foreign salary at FX spot rates in the CMA calculator i am concerned that the amounts will be astronomical and will not take into account a higher cost of living in my new location which is one of the most expensive places to live in the world.

Clearly I want to be fair and contribute to my children’s upbringing. Am I correct in assuming the best way to do this agree privately with my ex? Do the CMA have any jurisdiction overseas? I will be working for a local private organisation in the Far East that have no operations in the UK.

Any advice given would be appreciated.
Re: Calculating child maintenance when moving abroad
puma931 - 30 October, 2017 03:04PM
Agree it privately, as CMA won't get any future P60s etc.
Discuss with your ex and agree a base figure and a way forward with index increases each year.
I've read that some use moving abroad as an opportunity to stop paying all together.....
davidterry - 30 October, 2017 03:19PM
>>I've read that some use moving abroad as an opportunity to stop paying all together.....

Rather depends where you move to. If, for instance, you move to the US and do not pay UK child maintenance a UK court order for child maintenance can be enforced quite easily in the US (and it's done free of charge by the District Attorney who recovers the costs from the defaulter). Also, if a person does this and there are any assets left in the UK it is quite easy to charge those assets as security for payment.

I suppose if one moves to North Korea then there might be problems in getting payment.
Genisis99 - 30 October, 2017 04:53PM
Not moving to the North Korea thank god and I am proposing to pay a fair amount that I am currently paying in the UK.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.