Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Separated and Receiving Unsolicited Bills (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
08 October, 2017 07:41PM
Separated and Receiving Unsolicited Bills
german8927 - 08 October, 2017 07:41PM
I moved out of the house 6 months ago. I paid and continue to pay the utility bills, mortgage (1/2), school fees (1/2), car maintenance, licensing etc. I also voluntary decided to provide monetary assistance biweekly. She has a relatively good paying job earning over 100,000 a year.

I am starting to receive bills and being told they must be paid. In particular there are bills for the kids' extra curricular activities that I've not been consulted about. I paid one bill as it was half a payment and I knew my child enjoyed the activity. Some of the other activities that I'm being told to pay for I know the children don't enjoy and the bills are in the $1,000's.

I don't think it's right/fair for bills that I had no part in making decisions for, are being put on me. I don't want to pay but I know they're going likely curse at me and probably tell the children I am the reason they can no longer go to the activities. In addition they've previously refused to pay their half of things such as the mortgage until I've paid (reimbursed them) what I was told to pay if they've paid ahead of time.

Can they do this in the eyes of the law?
Re: Separated and Receiving Unsolicited Bills
Bustedlanda - 09 October, 2017 09:38AM
Are you from the UK? if so, have you tried going through CSA (or whatever its called now)? They will be able to calculate what is fair to pay based on what you earn and how many children you have. They have an online calculator where you can work out how much child maintenance you should be paying.
german8927 - 09 October, 2017 10:54PM
Thanks for responding. I am outside of the UK.
davidterry - 10 October, 2017 10:14AM
In general it is a bad idea to pay the mortgage and utility bills of a property occupied by someone else and from which you receive no benefit. If you do this for any length of time you could just be pouring money down a drain. It would be better to seek a divorce and to settle the financial issues arising from the marriage formally and finally within the context of that divorce. Any such settlement almost invariably results in the person living in a property being expected to pay the mortgage and utility bills on the property.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.