Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
International divorce (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
15 September, 2017 02:31PM
International divorce
silverlining - 15 September, 2017 02:31PM
I'm getting divorced outside of the UK as I live abroad but the division of our marital assets falls under English law. What information is needed for a solicitor in England to calculate our division of marital assets? My ex and I own a house with some equity in it, he has company shares (restricted stock units) we have equity from the sale of two houses and a car. Do they just need the information on these items or all the financial information like income, alimony calculations etc.
Thanks!
Re: International divorce
davidterry - 15 September, 2017 02:54PM
If you are getting divorced outside of England you need to speak to the lawyer representing you there. How English law is proved in that jurisdiction is a matter for that lawyer.

For what it is worth this type of situation is rarely satisfactory. For instance, in Germany a German court will apply English divorce law in a divorce between two English citizens who were married here. However, a German court will not actually know English law and since the German legal system is based on Civil Law whereas English law is based on Common Law the English system is almost a foreign world to them. To think in such circumstances that a German court reach the same outcome as a District Judge would reach in England is fanciful. They will try their best but the outcome will be very unlikely to be the same. Common Law inventions such as Trusts and the Law of Equity are unknown to Civil Law systems.

It is for this reason you need to speak to your lawyer in the foreign jurisdiction. It is not a matter of you doing some research and telling that lawyer what you think English law is.
HOW 'Dr' IAGI SCAMS THE GULLIBLE BY 'EMILY'
Emily0090 - 18 September, 2017 08:03AM
I'm Emily Dickson from USA I'm happy that my husband is back into my life after 2 years of divorce a strong spell caster named dr lagi brought him back

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2017 12:24PM by davidterry.
Re: International divorce
Andyk - 18 September, 2017 09:31AM
Emily, you poor deluded fool, once a cheater, always a cheater. He is probably sniffing around someone else as you proclaim your happiness. You would be better off splashing your cash on a spell to get rid of him completely
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.