Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Adultery (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
06 September, 2017 12:19AM
Adultery
sjb2802 - 06 September, 2017 12:19AM
A little bit of background.

My wife and I have been separated for around 6 months.
4 months ago she admitted she had started a relationship with another man.

Do I have grounds to divorce her for adultery?
And in the section on the form where you need to give an explanation or proof of adultery, is it acceptable to just put something along the lines of "My wife has admitted to being in a relationship with another man whilst being married to myself. I now find it intolerable to live with her and wish to file for divorce."

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Adultery
davidterry - 08 September, 2017 09:29AM
Bearing in mind that your wife met this other man after you separated don't you think it is a little bit unreasonable of you to say you find it intolerable? It is perfectly true that if one spouse has a sexual relationship with a person of the opposite sex while still married that is adultery whether the two spouses were separated at the time or not.

Having said that, most people instinctively know that a relationship commenced after a marriage is over is a very different thing from a relationship conducted behind the other spouse's back during the course of the marriage.

You are separated from your wife for a reason. Why not use the actual reason for the divorce as the ground for divorce? Unless your wife actually wants you to use this adultery as the ground for divorce it is usually better to give the real ground for the divorce.
sjb2802 - 08 September, 2017 03:02PM
We were supposed to have a trial separation to try and work things out. Whilst we were separated my wife was contacted by a man she met 6 months previously whilst on girls weekend away (We were still together then.) She claims she didn't sleep with him when she first met him but is admitting that she is now in a relationship with him.

On the form it states that part of the reason for divorcing for adultery must also mean that it makes it intolerable to live with each other. Even if we didn't live together before doesn't stop it from being intolerable to live together in the future. However, I am happy to leave that part of the wording out.

She claims she reason we had the trial separation in the first place is entirely my own fault. I disagree with this but my wife if incredibly stubborn and will swear black is white if it means she can blame someone other than herself. Whilst I believe she would deny any wrongdoing I don't believe she would outright lie and say is is not in a relationship with another man.

So is it acceptable to just put on the form "On May 13th 2017 my wife admitted to being in a relationship with another man"?
davidterry - 09 September, 2017 09:43AM
Like I said, you separated for a reason.
sjb2802 - 09 September, 2017 12:24PM
davidterry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like I said, you separated for a reason.

Yes we separated for a reason but I am considering putting adultery as the reason for wanting a divorce. As I stated before she will most likely deny any fault if I put the original reason we split up. This will mean extra costs, time and hassle, none of which I have or want. She is not likely to deny adultery.

Surely if we can divorce on either ground it makes sense to go for the easiest option. The easiest option here is to state adultery as a reason. As such I would simply like to know if the wording is acceptable or if I should elaborate or write something else entirely.
Andyk - 09 September, 2017 06:09PM
The easiest option would be to use unreasonable behaviour, you don't need your wife's cooperation for that. Whilst she might say now that she would agree for you to use adultery, she may we'll change her mind when it comes to the crunch and then you have problems. She might not like unreasonable behaviour but she won't have much choice and you will get your divorce with minimal fuss.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.