Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Money saved after Seperation but before divorce. (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
02 September, 2017 01:55AM
Money saved after Seperation but before divorce.
Sculley1981 - 02 September, 2017 01:55AM
Hello...Mt wife and i have been seperated for nearly 2 years and it was an amicable split and we are friemds most of the time apart from the usual bickering etc.

I am wondering if money i have earned after our seperation of which i have accrued in the bank will my wife be entitled to any of this during the divorce settlement? TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 07:38AM by Sculley1981.
Re: Money saved after Seperation but before divorce.
davidterry - 02 September, 2017 09:44AM
It depends how much is at issue but, yes, the chances are that it will be taken into account if it is significant. Like many things in divorce many people would not regard this as fair.
Sculley1981 - 02 September, 2017 10:05AM
Thank you for your reply...i did forget to mention that its in my personal account not a joint..will this make a difference? The amount is around 50k...Again...TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 10:06AM by Sculley1981.
davidterry - 02 September, 2017 11:29AM
That sort of sum of money is likely to be regarded as an asset in your name which should be taken into account. There are no fixed rules about these things. Much depends upon details. If, say, there was £1 million to share then it would not be unreasonable for a court to say that this £50K had been acquired since separation and therefore should be treated differently. On the other hand if there was, say, £200,000 to share a court would be much more likely to say that you already have £50K and that therefore you only need another £75,000 from the £200,000 to put you both in the same position. The context matters.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.