Topic:
Phone Calls re exH debts (5 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
21 August, 2017 07:22AM
Phone Calls re exH debts
ValMc - 21 August, 2017 07:22AM
Hiya

My ex and I split 2 years ago and our divorce and Consent Order were finalised in February 2016. He ran up huge debts during our relationship - mainly the reason for our split. We sold the marital home and I bought a place of my own. Less than 2 years later he has obviously spent the 6 figure sum he got despite moving straight in with someone else. I kept our old landline number when I moved. A couple of months ago I started getting phone calls on my landline from debt collectors and credit card people looking for him. I have texted him many times asking if he can change his details on his accounts so I do not get these phone calls and he assures me that he has but in the past week I have had 3 more. Apart from changing my landline number which I have had for over 40 years, is there anything I can do? I must have received at least 10 of these phone calls, and when I have contacted the companies concerned, I have been unable to remove my number myself as I am not the account holder - really do not want to be dragged back into his problems.
Re: Phone Calls re exH debts
jill_of_all_trades - 21 August, 2017 09:24AM
Give them basic information. X is your ex-husband. Your divorce was finalised in a clean break agreement in 2016. This telephone number now belongs solely to you. ( His mobile number is yyyyyyyyy.) Please don't call again. Goodbye. Phone down. This will get noted down on the caller's computer screen and eventually it will be obvious that it is pointless to call you.

We bought a house where unknown to us the builder owner was going bankrupt. There is a certain amount of chasing these people have to be seen to do before they can bring a case to court. I can't remember how long it took but the nuisance does go away in time.
ValMc - 21 August, 2017 12:36PM
Thank you for that - the debt collection agency were happy for me to give his current address and to remove my landline from their records - it is credit cards that are repeatedly calling. They are automated calls so no human at the other end. When they first started I contacted the credit card company but they wouldn't do anything.
Andyk - 21 August, 2017 01:23PM
If the calls are automated, is there a call to action, such as press 1 for billing, press 2 to speak to someone etc then see if you can get to speak to someone, or try repeatedly pressing the Star (*) key as that sometimes sends the call to an operator ten if you do just say that the person who they want to speak to no longer lives at the address.
ValMc - 21 August, 2017 01:28PM
Thank you - I will try the * trick. I did phone Barclaycard (I'm with them as well) and told them that he had never lived at my address but they wouldn't do anything. I'm glad I had to move now - otherwise I suspect I would be getting his post as well!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.