Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Home (6 Posts)
Started By:
18 August, 2017 07:16PM
Simon - 18 August, 2017 07:16PM
Hello to all, not sure if anyone can help with this advice. I live in a council house & my wife left me the first time in 2010. Her daughter went with her & our two sons stayed with me, A year later I took her back & she moved back in. Then we split again February 2016 & she moved out again in the September 2016. The boys live with each of us 50% of the time in a week on week off rota. I found out today from my sons that she is moving back in in September, she hasn't even talked to me about this. Where do I stand on this? Thank you in advance

P.s she has confirmed this is true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2017 01:57PM by Simon.
Re: Home
davidterry - 21 August, 2017 02:50PM
Is the tenancy in joint names? If it is then you might be wise to tell the council that she has left.

I assume that the reason she wants to move back in is because if she is living in the property and seeks a divorce she will probebly seek to have the tenancy transferred into her sole name.
Re: Home
Simon - 21 August, 2017 03:21PM
It is in joint names yes. They know she has gone as told them when she left. She's not living it it with me & has been a year since she has done. But want to move back in as can't afford the rented she is in now & that we are going through a divorce now. Can I stop her moving back in after all this time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2017 03:23PM by Simon.
Re: Home
davidterry - 21 August, 2017 06:06PM
I would try if you possibly can because if she moves back in the eventual outcome is probably that the tenancy will end up being transferred to her. Unfortunately if you change the locks I doubt that you can count on the children keeping their mother out so whether in practice you can keep her out is probably the main issue.
Re: Home
Simon - 21 August, 2017 06:38PM
Can I legally change the locks to keep her out? For the last year she keeps popping in when she likes when I've not been there
Re: Home
davidterry - 23 August, 2017 09:46AM
There is nothing stopping you changing the locks. However, as I said, the problem you face is whether one of your sons will give their mother a key or open the door to her.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.