Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Amicable Divorce & Settlement (5 Posts)
Started By:
11 August, 2017 01:13PM
Amicable Divorce & Settlement
Bushmanwales - 11 August, 2017 01:13PM
Hi - I have been separated for about 13/14 years. We have spoken about the money side of things a few times. I offered her to have what she wants. She wants to have the house which is paid for. I then keep my pension. What is the easiest and cheapest way to formally get divorced and a financial separation.

Should I get a solicitor or do it myself or get a quickie on line company. People tell me that if you have been apart for many years.

It is straight forward.

Also what are the court costs

Many Thanks
Re: Amicable Divorce & Settlement
Andyk - 11 August, 2017 02:00PM
The actual divorce and the financial split are two separate things.

The divorce side (if you are both in agreement) should be straight forward and you could probably DIY it, I know a couple of friends have done it that way and it just costs the court fee, which is about £500 now.

When it comes to the financial split you will be best to seek legal advice as it might me more complicated given the amount of time you have been separated.
Re: Amicable Divorce & Settlement
Bushmanwales - 11 August, 2017 02:21PM
Great - thanks for the reply. I have looked it up and I think I need a D8 form and think I need to pay £550 court costs. I wonder how easy or hard it is

Does anyone know about the financial split. there are no kids involved as they are grown up. My ex wants the house and I keep my pension. Is this something I can do myself or if I go to a solicitor, what sort of costs are involved. Is there a court cost similar to the £550
Re: Amicable Divorce & Settlement
Andyk - 11 August, 2017 06:00PM
I don't think it is that difficult, two friends of mine did it themselves when they left their respective husbands in a simple uncontested divorce. If you can download the forms have a look and see if you think you can wade your way through them.

The financial side, you would be best to get this finalised with a consent order approved by the court, that way you don't get any nasty surprises years down the line and you cut all your ties.

With a long marriage and no dependent children, unless one of you earns more than the other then it sounds like a 50/50 split is the order of the day. If you give her the house, what do you get out of it other than your pension? A £500k pension fund is not the same as £500k in the bank or a £500k house. This is where the legal,advice comes in to ensure that you are not being stitched up.
Re: Amicable Divorce & Settlement
Bubblegum - 11 August, 2017 06:47PM
Divorce cost sent with the petition is £550. Petition is Form D8 - a new form has just been introduced so make sure you use the new version. It's longer with notes and is supposed to be easier for a litigant in person to use (apparently).
Once you have your Decree Nisi you can apply for a financial order to be made (by consent). This is done by completing Form A (form dismissal purposes). There is a £50 charge for this and you send a draft consent order and form D81 (statement of information for consent order). This goes you Court for a Judge to approve and if it is deemed fair, it is approved and sent back as a sealed order.

As long as you are pretty clued up and have a little time you can do it all yourself but I would recommend getting legal advice before signing a consent order and having it drafted by a solicitor. The whole process is as simple as you make it. It gets complicated, expensive and lengthy when the divorce is acrimonious and you can't agree. The financial disclosure you make is based on your finances/assets now and not what you had 13/14 years back.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.