Disclaimer
Topic:
Divorce settlement (5 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
10 August, 2017 04:20PM
Divorce settlement
jan - 10 August, 2017 04:20PM
I'm going through a divorce and my house was sold 2 weeks ago and the proceeds are sitting with my solicitor as my husband told me what he wanted from the proceeds of the sale he also emailed my solicitor accepting this as he committed adultery. Now his solicitor wanting an I term payment each which I was advise not to accept.

We were married for 11 1/2 years and have a son together how we have debts that were suppose to be paid out of the proceeds but they haven't been but I am still paying. So I have advised my solicitor I want 80% and the debts paid which he would get 20%. Would this be acceptable as my solicitor said he could go for 50%.

The house was mine before he moved in. Just looking for advice please

Thanks
Re: Divorce settlement
davidterry - 11 August, 2017 01:53PM
You should not agree to an interim payment because the money will just disappear and it will probably mean it takes longer to settle everything once for all. Whether your proposals are reasonable depends upon the figures rather than upon percentages and upon factors such as where you will each live and how much it will cost.
Bubblegum - 27 August, 2017 11:28AM
*removed*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/08/2017 01:37PM by Bubblegum.
Wolves1877 - 27 August, 2017 05:01PM
I'm going to start divorce proceedings against my husband this week and am wondering if there is any help/advice that anyone could give me.I have been married for 27 years and split from my husband 3 1/2 years ago to be with my present partner.I have a son from my marriage who is 17 years old and is no longer in full time education
My son has lived with his father since the split and contact with my son has been brilliant.Any advice on the following would be gra tefully appreciated.

1.Am I entitled to half my husbands work pension for the period of marriage
2.Would I be entitled to half of the savings he had in his account when we split
3.I walked away from the marital home with only my clothes and personal belongings ... Would I be entitled to half of the value of the contents

There are many more questions I have which I will ask a little later .... Any help/advice would be gratefully received

Hoping to hear from you soon

kind regards wolves 1877
davidterry - 28 August, 2017 04:28PM
>>1.Am I entitled to half my husbands work pension for the period of marriage

That depends upon how much it is worth and whether you have any pension provision of your own. If the value of his pension is low or you have significant pension provision of your own you would not necessarily be entitled to half of his pension.

>>2.Would I be entitled to half of the savings he had in his account when we split

Again it depends how much your are talking about, whether you have any savings of your own and, if your husband's savings have since diminished, what he spent the money on. If, say, he used his savings to pay off debt you would not be entitled to a share of savings he once had but has no longer for quite a good reason.

>>3.I walked away from the marital home with only my clothes and personal belongings ... Would I be entitled to half of the value of the contents

The value of contents is the value of the contents second hand so what they are worth is probably negligible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.