Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
Topic:
Intellectual Property & Simplicity (5 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
01 August, 2017 01:51PM
Intellectual Property & Simplicity
schopenhauer - 01 August, 2017 01:51PM
Good Afternoon, fresh to the forum and extremely grateful for the wealth of knowledge and advice both here and on the website!

I'm intending on filing for divorce in the middle of this month and was hoping to gain some insights on how best to approach the process before I instigate it. We are both relatively young, have been married for less than five years, with no children, no significant assets, and our separation is uncontested and seemingly straightforward.

The greatest difficulty that I'm having at the moment is placing the map upon the territory. My intention, as I'm sure most are, is to effect a simple and swift approach to the proceedings which coincide and merit the uncomplicated nature of the circumstances. I'm at sea, however, with the size and degree of the divorce industry and the services that it offers; on one hand with the online "quick divorce" websites which seem to offer expediency but also delays, a lack of communication, and uncertainty, and those of traditional solicitors whose baseline fees i feel not only exceed my budget but the degree of my case as well. I'm curious, from anyone's experience, if there's a middle ground between the two, efficient and legitimate, but tailored to the scope and the range of the particular case?

My second question was whether anyone has advice on intellectual property in divorces. I'm an artist, albeit a non-established one, and one of my priorities of the outcome is to secure a clean break consent order regarding the work. It seems outside of tangible physical property, the nature of photographs, and notebooks, sketches, written ideas, and paintings fall into an ambiguous realm which raise a lot questions in how to navigate and more importantly state them.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Intellectual Property & Simplicity
davidterry - 01 August, 2017 02:22PM
Since you have no significant assets now you are needlessly creating a problem by speculating about intellectual property rights in the future.

And if your circumstances are as straightforward as you say then why not conduct your own divorce and just ask a solicitor to formalise a clean break if that is agreed between you? The cost of this should be modest.
schopenhauer - 02 August, 2017 12:13PM
Thank you Mr Terry, with due consideration that's a sterling suggestion! I think that figuring out precisely what assets I do have led me to become overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of work in my portfolio: scraps, sketches, and paintings; but I'm assuming - outside of the intellectual properties of an established film producer say, with incoming royalties and copyrights - that all these things, unvalued as they are, can be expressed very generally and concisely in a few short sentences on a clean break, not as a laundry list ad infinitum?
davidterry - 02 August, 2017 04:49PM
If you have no significant assets as you say and you are not an established artist you have no reason to list anything which does not have a significant value.
schopenhauer - 02 August, 2017 09:24PM
Thank you again Mr Terry, and once more, for providing such an invaluable resource here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.