Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
I Need A Home, Not Sure If To Buy A Flat (2 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
30 July, 2017 06:08PM
I Need A Home, Not Sure If To Buy A Flat
Boltyboy - 30 July, 2017 06:08PM
I have lived separate from my wife the last 5 years, we have had separate incomes no finances no children, no property. I have always wanted to move back with her but could not due to hers and mine Alcoholism things are better now.
One day she loves me the next she wants a divorce, it is coming up to 5 years separation this December
I will grant her divorce in December, after 5 year separation without consent
We are both of the drink, but now she wants a divorce, she lives in Social housing, I used to live with my Mum hoping things would get better between me and my wife, so i could move back. My Mum died last year from Lung cancer, i now live in a 6 by 6 room at my sisters house. I am also a bipolar sufferer but my meds have sorted me out the last 5 years, not sure if that is relevant, but i do have mental health problems.

I need to get a bigger place, this little room is no good for me, i need my own place to have my independence. I dont know how to proceed, or what is the best thing to do. I received 50K inheritance 4 months ago. I am nolonger on benefits, I want to get a job.

I just want a secured home, and not worry about moving out in 6 months after a contract ends, social housing will not help me, because of the 50K I was thinking of buying quarter share in a one bed roomed flat , for 50K will my home be secure? When my wife divorces me? I would apply for social housing but they will not help me, I could move into private accommodation, but its not secured home.

I am not materialistic, i just need a home. If i buy this flat for 50K will i have to sell it, so my wife can have half? I will then be homeless again. She has a home, i have a bedroom. I could go into very expensive private accommodation, but thats just like paying somebody elses mortgage of. I just want secured a home, please help me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2017 06:10PM by Boltyboy.
Re: I Need A Home, Not Sure If To Buy A Flat
davidterry - 01 August, 2017 02:17PM
>>If i buy this flat for 50K will i have to sell it,

I think that is very unlikely because to sell it would effectively make you homeless and you acquired the funds to buy it after you separated. If, say, your wife had young dependent children and did not have secure accommodation then the situation might be different but your wife is in social housing and there are no children. Buying the flat seems to be a sensible thing for you to do.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.