Topic:
Is my house safe? (15 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
27 June, 2017 04:37PM
Is my house safe?
jim rogers - 27 June, 2017 04:37PM
I got married in 2001.
In August 2015 my wife walked out of the marital home leaving our 14 year old daughter living with me.
She moved in with another man.
I started divorce proceedings and the divorce was finalised in July 2016.
Part of the divorce was that I had to pay her almost half the equity in our house.
This meant I had to take out another mortgage.
The house is solely in my name.
My new girlfriend and her 6 year old daughter moved in with my daughter and I in August 2016.
I pay the mortgage and all the other household bills.
My girlfriend just pays for the food shopping.
At the moment we are very happy.
If however in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or whenever we split up will my current girlfriend have any legal claim on a share of my house?
Will getting engaged or married in the future have any effect on this?
Re: Is my house safe?
davidterry - 28 June, 2017 01:42PM
>>If however in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or whenever we split up will my current girlfriend have any legal claim on a share of my house?

No, not if it is in your sole name and so long as the law remains the same.

>>Will getting engaged or married in the future have any effect on this?

Yes, it will make a big difference because in that event a court will decide who gets the house or what share of it whether it is in your sole name or not.
Bubblegum - 28 June, 2017 02:00PM
Don't remarry unless you are genuinely prepared to share *EVERYTHING* you have.
jim rogers - 28 June, 2017 06:00PM
Ok, thanks.

Would the act of getting engaged but not actually married put me at any more risk?

Are pre-nuptial agreements any safeguard?
davidterry - 29 June, 2017 10:37AM
>>Would the act of getting engaged but not actually married put me at any more risk?

Yes.

>>Are pre-nuptial agreements any safeguard?

No. Although they are given more weight than they once were the fact remains that the court retains the last word - pre-nuptial agreement or not. Unless you have money to burn on litigation I wouldn't put my faith in one.
jim rogers - 29 June, 2017 05:58PM
Ok, thanks, I never knew that just getting engaged would have made any difference legally.
tyler74 - 29 June, 2017 06:13PM
UK family courts are extremely unfair and biased (against a man). I am surprised people are still getting married

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2017 06:14PM by tyler74.
davidterry - 30 June, 2017 08:40AM
>>I never knew that just getting engaged would have made any difference legally.

It does. It does not invoke the full divorce jurisdiction but there is nevertheless a legal distinction between a couple who simply live together and an engaged couple who live together. The two situations can lead to different outcomes.
Bubblegum - 30 June, 2017 12:00PM
That's very interesting. I had no idea it would make a difference. Not something I particularly need to know, but interesting in any case.
Andyk - 30 June, 2017 12:49PM
And the moral of this tale is - don't get married OR engaged, just let him/her move in and formally charge them rent !!!!!!!
Bubblegum - 30 June, 2017 01:28PM
Oh and don't have a child together! Lol
Andyk - 30 June, 2017 06:17PM
Ha ha Bubblegum, I forgot that one. Friend of mine when he got divorced got himself a vasectomy as well to make sure he was never caught out on that one.
Bubblegum - 30 June, 2017 06:49PM
Haha.... we are a cynical lot on here aren't we?

@Jim Rogers, you could also get engaged then married, have a couple of kids and live happily ever after!?? (Plenty of people do)

All I'm saying is that sometimes you just have to weigh up the pros and cons, listen to your gut and do what you can to minimise/limit the risks involved. Nothing is a certainty in life, we take risks every day and the ultimate goal is to find happiness. If you've gone though life and not made mistakes (a) you haven't lived (b) you haven't learnt. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bubblegum xx
jim rogers - 10 July, 2017 07:09AM
Ok, As stated earlier, I pay the mortgage and all the other household bills.
My girlfriend just pays for the food shopping.
However, we have both paid for some home improvements (to my house) using a "joint" bank account which we both contribute into.
How could this affect things in the future?
ValMc - 10 July, 2017 07:22AM
It is not just men who lose out - I owned my home before I met my now ex-husband. When we split (his idea) he took half my house although I was solely on the mortgage and paid every bill in the house (again solely in my name). He paid for the food but that was it. He still got approx. 45% of the house. Needless to say, I will not be marrying again as I have now got another home and have no intention of having to sell this one!! My current partner and I both have our own homes and bounce between the two - works very well for us (and I don't have to do his washing and ironing).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.