Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
When Can I Change The Locks (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
21 June, 2017 04:08PM
When Can I Change The Locks
BJS27 - 21 June, 2017 04:08PM
My husband left the marital home in December and we are very close to being divorced. We have the nisi, the consent order has been approved and the application for the absolute is hopefully at court.

I have remained in the marital home and am going to be buying his share of the house from him (I won't give him the money until he gets the absolute as I want it fully legally binding as hes been playing games from day 1).

He has retained keys to the house and has by and large been good and requested when he wanted to come and fetch things. However last week I came home from work and noticed that papers had been rifled through, things had been moved and one or two small items are missing.

I have been told I shouldn't change the locks as it is still legally his house - but how on earth is it fair that he can come round when Im out, go through my things and steal whatever he fancies? I feel like my personal space has been violated.

At what point can I change the locks so I can actually feel safe in my own home again? Im now afraid to go out incase I come home and find hes taken things. Or if I change them now, what are the ramifications? Can he legally break in and leave me with that to deal with?
Re: When Can I Change The Locks
Bubblegum - 22 June, 2017 05:58PM
My understanding is that he does have a right to the keys for the property until you have a sealed Court Order. Although you have the Court Order, it doesn't become enforceable until you get the Decree Absolute. I expect this is why you have been advised to wait.
BJS27 - 01 July, 2017 08:49AM
I now have the Decree Absolute and am waiting for him to send me his bank details so I can transfer his money.

The consent order says the house is mine and that I am buying it off him.
It says that on receipt of the money he will remove his name from the deeds to the house.

I am in the process of getting the paperwork done to get him off the deeds, but I have to do it with my remortgage apparently and thats taking time to get into the bank for a mortgage appointment.

Am I legally now entitled to change the locks to the house?
handyian - 22 July, 2017 05:53PM
looks like you are getting no advice . Strange . The law should be clear and the web site manager of this site should be able to give you the simple info.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.