Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Property // Divorce (2 Posts)
Started By:
14 June, 2017 05:30PM
Property // Divorce
Steve80 - 14 June, 2017 05:30PM

I am splitting up with my wife who is happy for me to buy her half of the house, but not happy to divorce.

Is there any legal way I can make sure I don't have to buy her out now, and again down the line if/when the divorce happens?

Can a document be drawn up stating that she can only get her half of the house once?

Thanks for any information.

Re: Property // Divorce
davidterry - 16 June, 2017 04:31PM
Do not do it. If you buy her out of the house without seeking a divorce and doing it within the context of that divorce you run the risk that when you do eventually seek a divorce she will ask for more. It isn't a risk worth running. You do not need your wife's permission or co-operation in order to have a divorce. If the marriage is over you should issue a divorce petition and only pay her for her share of the house within the context of a formal and final settlement made in those divorce proceedings. If you do it in any other way you are riding for a fall.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.