Topic:
moved abroad - travel cost (17 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
12 June, 2017 01:03AM
moved abroad - travel cost
tyler74 - 12 June, 2017 01:03AM
Hi all,
i divorced and reached financial settlement about 2 years ago, but moved to the U.S. due to work assignment a year after, with the idea to stay here in US for a few years. My ex-wife and our children live in London.
I have two children (4 and 6) and i’d like to keep in touch in that setup.
I pay my child support but when that was calculated we did not consider my travel cost (NY<->London) that becomes a really heavy now.
Could you please suggest is there chance now to reconsider the child support/alimony in a way that would take into account my travel cost and give me some breathing space?
Is travel of that kind considered to be a need for a child/parent?

Kind regards,
Gene

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 03:47PM by tyler74.
Re: moved abroad - travel expenses
davidterry - 12 June, 2017 08:59AM
Well, what is the travel for if you are based in the US and work there? I assume it is not business travel which would be covered by expenses.
Andyk - 12 June, 2017 11:57AM
I would say that it was your choice to move away so travel should have been factored into your decision. How would you feel if your ex suddenly wanted more money because she has moved to a remote area and needs to taxi your children to and from school?
tyler74 - 12 June, 2017 03:43PM
@terry: it is not business expense - it is the airfare cost to see my children - they live in the UK with their mother. Can i assume that should be factored into child support/alimony?
@AndyK: yes that was a career necessity and my choice ultimately but i do see why my freedom of movement should be limited in this case. I am not asking for more money - i am saying that part of the money I contribute to the pot should be spent on my travel as children need to see their father. See the difference?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 03:46PM by tyler74.
Re: moved abroad - travel cost
HatMan - 12 June, 2017 04:51PM
If you will excuse the pun...I don't think that reasoning will fly...otherwise everyone could reduce their commitments to maintain their children by deliberately taking jobs in remote areas that increase their travel costs - It's not your kids fault that you have moved away...yet you seem to want it both ways , the career of your choice and to reduce your contribution to them.

I think you need to take a look at how this looks from the outside...and it isn't a good look.
tyler74 - 12 June, 2017 05:30PM
Your point is taken. On the other hand i see a lot of topic saying 'my ex with children wants to move to X - how can i stop her...'. And the reply is usually - "you can't cause she's free to live where she wants..."
And also i am not pocketing anything here - frankly i am still on the loosing end, just want to see my children more often that i can afford right now. It is still in the children's interest.
I've just learnt on CSA website - they take travel cost into account
davidterry - 12 June, 2017 05:45PM
>>I've just learnt on CSA website - they take travel cost into account

Not this scale of travel, they don't. And if they do your ex would be quite justified in applying to the court for a 'top up' order.

>>On the other hand i see a lot of topic saying 'my ex with children wants to move to X - how can i stop her...'. And the reply is usually - "you can't cause she's free to live where she wants..." <<

And your point about the above is? Where your ex lived would not affect child maintenance whereas you seek to reduce child maintenance because of costs which are 100% within your control.
HatMan - 12 June, 2017 06:24PM
You are as free to live where you want as she is...but you cannot use that to shirk your responsibilities.You say you want to pay into the pot as you describe it...and then take that money out for yourself, the very notion is ridiculous.
tyler74 - 12 June, 2017 08:33PM
OK, guys (HatMan and AndyK)
i do not understand why are you giving me such difficult time. I am not trying to avoid responsibilities or anything - i moved to U.S. mainly cause of Brexit and trying to make it work.
The alternative for me is to move back and earn peanuts and the support level will drop like a stone...
so i'm trying to make the arrangement work for both parties - that's it.

Btw - we both have dual citizenship - so it is her choice to live in London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 08:36PM by tyler74.
tyler74 - 12 June, 2017 09:27PM
Terry,
thank you, appreciate your help!
Andyk - 13 June, 2017 03:46AM
Not giving you a hard time buddy, just telling you as it is, in that it is an unreasonable request.
davidterry - 13 June, 2017 08:19AM
>>i moved to U.S. mainly cause of Brexit and trying to make it work.

I find that rather hard to believe. If you were an European citizen who moved back to Europe the above statement might have made some sort of sense but moving to the US because of Brexit sounds rather odd to say the least. Not that this has anything to do with divorce.
HatMan - 13 June, 2017 08:53AM
Indeed - Particularly as he says he moved to The States a year ago when any effect or otherwise of Brexit was unknown.
tyler74 - 14 June, 2017 01:42PM
You may find it hard to believe - all depends on what you do for living. There is no work for me in Europe
davidterry - 15 June, 2017 01:48PM
>>There is no work for me in Europe

And if that is true this down to Brexit? Hard to see how that can have made you unemployable in the whole of Europe.
tyler74 - 15 June, 2017 04:42PM
i am in derivatives trading. the business virtually does not exist in Europe - London, NY and Asia are the main locations. Now due to anticipated regulatory pressures there is no hiring in London = no prospects. People are loosing jobs. Not complaining too much about brexit here as my stuff is a niche area and difficult to generalize

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2017 04:46PM by tyler74.
HatMan - 16 June, 2017 08:51AM
If it's that lucrative I am sure you can afford a few flights to see your children....seriously you are doing yourself no favours with this and no court will ever entertain your request. It seems that you just want someone to say you are justified in your thought process...well that ain't happening so you will just have to live with the reality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.