Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
D80 form - Using different name to that on marriage certificate (1 Post)
Started By:
06 June, 2017 07:26PM
D80 form - Using different name to that on marriage certificate
Spidermint - 06 June, 2017 07:26PM
Hi there,

I'm in the process of divorcing my husband on grounds of unreasonable behaviour. After I got married, I decided to stop using my middle name and use my maiden name as a middle name instead. I don't have a change of name deed form but my current passport has this name, and it's on my bank account. To illustrate - I married John Smith and changed my name from Jo Sarah Bloggs to Jo Bloggs Smith.

I have used my current name for the petition but becuase I no longer use my middle name (which is on my marriage certificate), after I applied for decree nisi, the court came back to say that "the name(s) of the petitioner differ from the marriage certificate at parts 1/2 of the petition".

I've been instructed to send fresh copies of the D84 and D80b and "confirm the correct full name(s) of the petitioner at question 2 of a fresh D80." This is the question about if there is anything to alter on the petition.

Since I no longer use my old middle name, do I just need to state this in question 2 of D80b? I am concerned that I need to provide supporting paperwork but I have no idea what is suitable. The D80 guidance is slim on this issue.
Or do I need to change my name on the petition to be Jo Sarah Smith and forget altoghether about the name I have been using officially since I was married. I'm more bothered about progressing the paperwork than anything else so if I have to do the latter for the sake of getting this finished then that's fine.

If anyone else has had to deal with the same issue and has some advice I would be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.