Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
D80 form - Using different name to that on marriage certificate (1 Post)
Started By:
06 June, 2017 07:26PM
D80 form - Using different name to that on marriage certificate
Spidermint - 06 June, 2017 07:26PM
Hi there,

I'm in the process of divorcing my husband on grounds of unreasonable behaviour. After I got married, I decided to stop using my middle name and use my maiden name as a middle name instead. I don't have a change of name deed form but my current passport has this name, and it's on my bank account. To illustrate - I married John Smith and changed my name from Jo Sarah Bloggs to Jo Bloggs Smith.

I have used my current name for the petition but becuase I no longer use my middle name (which is on my marriage certificate), after I applied for decree nisi, the court came back to say that "the name(s) of the petitioner differ from the marriage certificate at parts 1/2 of the petition".

I've been instructed to send fresh copies of the D84 and D80b and "confirm the correct full name(s) of the petitioner at question 2 of a fresh D80." This is the question about if there is anything to alter on the petition.

Since I no longer use my old middle name, do I just need to state this in question 2 of D80b? I am concerned that I need to provide supporting paperwork but I have no idea what is suitable. The D80 guidance is slim on this issue.
Or do I need to change my name on the petition to be Jo Sarah Smith and forget altoghether about the name I have been using officially since I was married. I'm more bothered about progressing the paperwork than anything else so if I have to do the latter for the sake of getting this finished then that's fine.

If anyone else has had to deal with the same issue and has some advice I would be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.