Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Information required to cross the starting line of divorce (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
04 May, 2017 07:04PM
Information required to cross the starting line of divorce
bobbos - 04 May, 2017 07:04PM
Hi,
Thanks any replies that I may receive.

I am 52 and been married for 32 years but have been living separate from my wife for 2 years now.
We jointly own a home with £64,000, mortgage still to pay and it is worth around £120,000.
She has moved out and living elsewhere and is now in another relationship, so I am looking to divorce.
We have no dependents
I have no relatives from my family line, she has a mother who owns a house outright and she has left half of it in her will to my wife, the other half going to my wife's brother.
I know her mother also has money in the bank of around £30,000.
We both work full time.

So as such I have just a couple of questions to begin with:

Is the whole value of the property split or just the equity?
Even if she has never paid into the mortgage, is she entitled to half the property?
Is any inheritance taken into account or possible inheritance?
What about pensions?
What about inherited cash amounts?
Also looking to do this divorce online, has anyone used this kind of service and would they recommend it, or is a solicitor crucial?
Re: Information required to cross the starting line of divorce
HatMan - 05 May, 2017 05:27AM
This will be one of the easiest ever.....assuming you both have the ability to earn a living, it will be a 50 -50 split of all assets accrued during the marriage.

So, half the pension, half the equity half the savings etc etc.

NB - The potential inheritance from her mother is irrelevant - she might use it all up on healthcare or spend it on wild parties for all we know.
Andyk - 05 May, 2017 07:27AM
As per HatMan other than it depends on what your respective earnings are, if she earns £20k and you earn £100k then it might be that she would get more of the equity / pensions given your greater earning/mortgage capacity.
HatMan - 05 May, 2017 11:06AM
Funnily enough she has potentially shot herself in the foot a fraction by already moving out and finding herself somewhere to live as you can legitimately argue that her housing needs are more easily met than yours, might help a bit.
bobbos - 05 May, 2017 08:57PM
Thanks for that HatMan, she has moved in with her mum, just over two years ago now.
HatMan - 06 May, 2017 05:40AM
That isn't as good as if she had found a place of her own as we are back to square one with the fact that the property may never get inherited due to unknown future circumstances, anyway the bottom line here is that I would imagine that you are looking at more or less a 50-50 split of everything unless one of you earns wildly differently to the other which could skew things slightly.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.