Topic:
Help!! (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
18 April, 2017 07:02AM
Help!!
suman - 18 April, 2017 07:02AM
Hi,

I have read the term McKenzie friend online. Do I have to disclose details to Ex or solicitors? If yes, is this to be done straight away or just before the FDA? Is there anything else I need to consider if I am going ahead with McKenzie friend?

Thanks
Suman
Re: Help!!
suman - 20 April, 2017 06:52AM
Hi,

Can someone please give me some guidance.

Thanks
Suman
Bubblegum - 20 April, 2017 07:09AM
You will need the court's permission. I would write to the court with details of the MF and their CV etc. Is it a paid MF or friend?
suman - 03 May, 2017 06:32PM
Thank you so much Bubblegum. Do I need to write to the court before I start using the MF facility? Do I also need to inform my Ex's solicitor and when?

It's a friend who has recently been through a rough divorce and she knows a lot because of her experience.
Thanks
Suman
Bubblegum - 03 May, 2017 08:03PM
Here is some guidance...
[courtwithoutalawyer.co.uk]

A word of caution though;
1. Your MF wil be able to help organise and offer support in court but be careful about taking advice from them.

2. Every case is different, just because your friend 'knows a lot' in her own case does not mean she will in yours. I know a fair bit having been a LIP but that doesn't mean I know a lot about other peoples cases. What I have learnt is relevant to my own experience and circumstances and is a constant learning curve. For instance I wouldn't have the foggiest clue about pension sharing, business accounts or MPS because it wasn't relevant to my case.

3. Your friend will not have the objectivity that a lawyer would.

I think a good MF can be invaluable if used correctly and I'm sure having your friend there will be great moral support. I understand that accessing legal representation is very difficult on a tight budget and I do think where the alternative is to go it alone the assistance of a MF will be better than nothing. Just bare in mind a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. It would be great if we could all afford proper legal advice and representation, wouldn't it.

This is just the first appointment so should be fairly straight forward. Know you documents, prepare thoroughly, prepare your objections to questions you do not feel are necessary to answer and strong reasoning for those you want to ask. Think about directions you would like the court to make to move the case forward i.e. Instructing Joint expertvaluations etc.

I hope it all goes well smiling smiley
suman - 07 May, 2017 09:00PM
Once again thank you so much Bubblegum. This has been very helpful. I had not thought of "joint expert valuations". Is there anything else I should look out for before/during first hearing?

Thanks
Suman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.