Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
Topic:
Want to start divorce, but don't know where ex lives (2 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
12 April, 2017 03:59PM
Want to start divorce, but don't know where ex lives
SP_BritishCitizen - 12 April, 2017 03:59PM
Hi,

Hoping you might be able to help.

A bit of background to start with. Met in December 2011, engaged in Jan 2012 (within a few days), married in May 2012 and then my ex wife (from India) joined me in London (I am a British citizen) in Nov 2012. At first things were going well, but soon after, the relationship from my point of view was going downhill due to a number of things. Eventually I told her how I felt and then things went very bad and I have grounds for divorcing for unreasonable behaviour.

She eventually moved out and I have told her I want a divorce. She has agreed to this, but does not want to give me her address as she does not feel it is safe for post like that to be sent there. My understanding is that she is renting a room, but doesn't feel comfortable with important post going there. Since telling her I want a divorce, she has stopped contacting me so I don't know her address.

So my question is, how do I go about starting the divorce process if I don't know where she lives? Can I send it to her sister's house as I would assume she could get it from there?

Would appreciate any guidance anyone can offer.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Want to start divorce, but don't know where ex lives
davidterry - 13 April, 2017 11:08AM
You cannot send it to your wife's sister's house without the permission of the court (which you would not get). If you know where your wife lives or can get the information you will need to serve it upon her there whether that is what she wants or not. Otherwise you will need to arrange to have it served on her personally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.