Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
Topic:
Anybody have experience with online divorce services? (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
11 April, 2017 12:24PM
Anybody have experience with online divorce services?
Steven J - 11 April, 2017 12:24PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get divorced and I have a questions. Does anybody have experience with those online divorce services. My friend used this one: [egonlinedivorce.co.uk]. He said he was quite satisfied, however I'm still not yet sure, what do you guys think?
Re: Anybody have experience with online divorce services?
Andyk - 11 April, 2017 01:05PM
These are fine if it is a straight forward non contested divorce, but remember this is just the divorce bit, you still need to do the finances.
davidterry - 11 April, 2017 03:10PM
I can't say I had heard of them so I have just taken a look at their web site (and I have left the link above so anyone can do the same if they want). There are a few things that bother me about this.

1. The headline says, 'Getting Divorced? Do It Online For £79.'. Now, does that look right to you? For a start there is a court fee which is currently £550 to issue a divorce petition. And it is hard to tell whether the sum they mention includes VAT or not.

2. Look at the 'About us' section. Does that actually tell you anything about them, who they are, what their qualifications are, whether they are regulated or insured by anyone. We see a picture of a smiling 'Eri' but that's it so far as I can see.

3. There is a sentence which says, 'Online divorce has been seen on' which is followed by the logos of several national newspapers. Lawyers like me are of course notoriously nit picking about the use of words. Nevertheless there is a significant difference between the term 'online divorce' and 'E.G. Online Divorce' which is the name of the web site. Is this significant? I don't know.

Like most things you pays your money and you takes your choice but indications such as the above would personally make me ask more questions before parting with any money. It is your money and your divorce after all.
Bubblegum - 11 April, 2017 10:53PM
Hmmm... Well the small print on the bottom of the website does say that it's not a law firm and can not give legal advice!
All you'd be paying for is a "fully qualified legal practitioner" (whatever the heck that is!) to check you've completed all the correct forms correctly. Personally I would use a company that
(a) doesn't berate other firms by saying they use "poorly trained paralegals"
(b) is registered with the SRA and has indemnity insurance and is able to offer some legal advice if needed.

There are others out there, I would do some research. Solicitors also offer fixed fee divorce - maybe see how that compares.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.