Topic:
bert (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
05 April, 2017 03:40PM
bert
Bert - 05 April, 2017 03:40PM
bert

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 09:12PM by Bert.
Re: Where do I start? Should I even start?
Bubblegum - 05 April, 2017 03:54PM
I think what you potentially need is a mesher order. Afraid I don't know all that much about them as it's not something I'm pursuing myself. May be worth Reading up on it. Hopefully someone else's will be along to advise.
davidterry - 06 April, 2017 03:05PM
Do not move out of the house until you have obtained a divorce and the financial issues arising from the marriage have been formally and finally settled within the context of that divorce. There is no reason to wait. The sooner you get on with this the sooner you can both move on with your lives.

It may be that the solution will be some sort of Mesher order. What happens in that case is that you retain a percentage interest in the property which can be realised when the child cease to become dependent or reach a specified age. Although sharing the money then actually happens in the future the terms of the settlement are fixed now (within the context of the divorce) so that you both have certainty moving forward. Given the ages of the children such a delay in receiving the money would not necessarily be the end of the world - especially when the value of it is preserved because it will be expressed as a percentage of the the value of the house rather than as a fixed sum.
Bert - 06 April, 2017 03:09PM
Thank you David. What is defined by 'obtained a divorce'? That sounds like a long period living in the same house during a divorce period?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 03:19PM by Bert.
HatMan - 06 April, 2017 03:25PM
It means what it says - stay put until the divorce is finalised, you lose every bit of negotiating power you might have by moving out prior to that.
Bubblegum - 06 April, 2017 04:11PM
And you are divorced when you have your decree absolute. Then the financial order can become effective.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.