Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Trying to help a friend.. (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
08 March, 2017 10:13AM
Trying to help a friend..
TryingToHelp - 08 March, 2017 10:13AM
Hi All,

Please bar with me as I am completely clueless on divorce proceedings! The story behind my post is that I have an old friend who is a Turkish national that married a British man approximately 7 years ago.

Since being married, the relationship has broken down which I believe is mainly due to the husband being diagnosed with Bipolar amongst others. He became abusive verbally (not physically as far as I am aware) in the way of threatening to kill my friend, videoing her crying etc etc etc.

I have explained that she is far better off without him however financially she is currently unable to survive out of the relationship. She is a contractor who works within 6 month contracts and could be out of work at any point which is less than ideal.. The other issue is that the rented accommodation comes to an end a week before the end of this month. The husband has served the notice with the landlord and with all bills which leaves her ultimately homeless.

I would love to offer support but I am at a loss my end as I have not had to deal with this before.I would offer her a place to stay however there is no room at my house and we also have a 1yr old child.

Can anyone offer any advice? I have advised her to call the Citizens Advice Bureau today which she is doing but failing that, I expect them to advice contacting a Solicitor which will cost a lot of money which she simply doesn't have at this point in time. I did read that she could gain financial help from the Government, however it looks like that was removed in 2013.

I'm a bit stuck, trying to do the right thing but just digging a bigger hole!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

SJ

Edit:

Thought it would be right to mention that they do not have a joint account, any paid rent was transferred online while she was in work but when out of work, she did not pay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2017 10:15AM by TryingToHelp.
Re: Trying to help a friend..
Andyk - 08 March, 2017 11:47AM
If she is working now and wants to leave then she should just do it and worry about what happens if her contract is not renewed if/when it happens. You can't live your life worrying about things that MAY happen otherwise you wont get on and do anything.

The other alternative is to move with her husband to wherever he goes then if her contract comes to an end and she moves out she might be able to claim maintenance from him, assuming he has the ability to pay.

You have not mentioned any children that they might have, if they do have any then that would change things for her.
davidterry - 08 March, 2017 06:43PM
>>The story behind my post is that I have an old friend who is a Turkish national that married a British man approximately 7 years ago.

The fact is that if she wants advice she should seek it on her own account. Families and friends are rarely impartial when it comes to these things. And it is always worth bearing in mind that in most divorces there are two sides to a story.
Molly - 14 March, 2017 07:50AM
davidterry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>The story behind my post is that I have an old
> friend who is a Turkish national that married a
> British man approximately 7 years ago.
>
> The fact is that if she wants advice she should
> seek it on her own account. Families and friends
> are rarely impartial when it comes to these
> things. And it is always worth bearing in mind
> that in most divorces there are two sides to a
> story.
On the other hand sometimes friends can see the bigger picture rather than the two individuals tied up in the divorce.....being a friend doesn't mean to say you are impartial....
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.