Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Costs of going to court (9 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
05 March, 2017 04:43PM
Costs of going to court
Nitanoo - 05 March, 2017 04:43PM
Does anyone have an idea as to how much the initial court hearing would cost or any further hearings? Many thanks.
Re: Costs of going to court
Bubblegum - 05 March, 2017 07:05PM
What is the court hearing for? What kind of representation do you have?
Nitanoo - 05 March, 2017 07:22PM
My ex has contested my offer for a clean break & is going for my pension. I am trying g to see if it's worth it going to court & the costs involved in doing so. I am represented by a solicitor currently.
puma931 - 06 March, 2017 11:51AM
In my experience it has cost a fortune!

It takes time for the solicitor to prepare the court paperwork/bundle and then a barrister can costs c£2k for the day in court.
You also need to factor in that there are three court appearances over a period of 6 months, so the costs do mount up if you need to use a solicitor (they usually cover the first two) and a barrister for the final hearing. I would estimate up to £10k if you continue to use a solicitor and a barrister for the final hearing.
Nitanoo - 06 March, 2017 12:12PM
Blimey that's horrendous! Let's hope it doesn't get that far! Thank you for your reply.
davidterry - 06 March, 2017 02:35PM
It is very easy to tell whether your wife has a realistic chance of getting a share of your pension. It depends on the facts and figures. In particular upon the value of your respective pensions, your ages, the length of time you have been together and the period of time over which each pension was built up. Within the grand scheme of things whether a person has a realistic claim upon their spouse's pension is quite easy to determine. Only when you know the answer to this can you weigh up whether going to court would make sense.
Nitanoo - 06 March, 2017 03:23PM
Cetv values his 2 pensions at 198k currently mine is 235. I retire in 5 years he retires in 24 years & is living with someone else & buying a place together. He is claiming that he put about 50k into our marital home & wants it back but he agreed to me buying him out & I've already paid him half the net equity. It's just ludicrous really. My solicitor says it should be a clean break but he won't agree.
davidterry - 06 March, 2017 06:35PM
If the property is not already in your sole name you need to make a court application to get this settled once for all otherwise the property remains in joint names which would be storing up problems for the future. I doubt that it would be worth going to court over this difference in pensions but the price you put on getting closure is something else.

If you have a solicitor acting for you there doesn't seem much point in posting these questions here. You are paying your solicitor to answer these questions.
Nitanoo - 06 March, 2017 06:53PM
Thanks again for your reply. Speaking to her tomorrow but just wanted some idea. I'm just worrying I guess.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.