Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Divorcing a foreign immigration scammer (7 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
23 February, 2017 03:31PM
Divorcing a foreign immigration scammer
brummie12 - 23 February, 2017 03:31PM
Hi all,

I have a question about divorcing a foreign wife. She is from the former Soviet Union, and I realised that she has used me just to gain entry to the UK, telling porkies about loving me forever etc. Long story short, basically there was no affection, respect or any normal family life once she stepped on the British soil. We got married in her country but never re-married or approved marriage legally in the UK (if it matters).
Do I need to apply to courts etc. to divorce her or should I just inform the police that she is a marriage scammer and they will annul the marriage as fraudulent (I would prefer not to be 'divorced')? Can she have a claim on my assets (she brought along some money from the sale of her property and it was spent on my premarital house renovation, but this was actually at her request, now I can see this was just window dressing for the visa authorities).

Thank you all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2017 04:00PM by brummie12.
Re: Divorcing a foreign immigration scammer
davidterry - 23 February, 2017 06:02PM
The marriage was not fraudulent. You knew that you were entering into a marriage and so did she. You may have had different motives for entering into that marriage but it was not fraudulent. You can certainly tell the immigration authorities that the marriage has broken down and seek a divorce. As part of the divorce you will need to settle the financial issues arising from the marriage. You will then probably find out that your wife knows much more about how divorce law works than you do.
brummie12 - 23 February, 2017 07:49PM
Thank you David. Do you know what happens next, does the immigration police deport her? Why do I need then to settle the financial issues, even if she gets something like 10% of the house (her contribution roughly towards the renovation), how would she use it if she cannot live in the country (unless she married someone else for visa which I would not dismiss completely)?
We also have two children, and I was told that by the British law the mother will usually have them. Can I apply for the custody if the mother is deported?
davidterry - 24 February, 2017 09:54AM
If you have two children then

(a) I would be surprised if your wife does not find some means to stay in the UK and
(b) the fact that there are children tends to suggest that your wife will end up with much more than 10% of the house.
brummie12 - 01 March, 2017 09:21PM
No she cannot stay in the UK as she is on marriage visa and this comes to an end soon. Ok thanks I will think this over.
davidterry - 02 March, 2017 10:59AM
>>No she cannot stay in the UK as she is on marriage visa and this comes to an end soon

You wouldn't be the first to discover that you may be wrong about that. People find all sorts of reasons why they should be allowed to remain in the UK. These are circumstances where I would be surprised if that is not what your wife tries to do.
HatMan - 07 March, 2017 07:07AM
One of my friends married a Russian lady and was in similar circumstances to this....suffice to say that she is still in the UK , is receiving £900 a month child maintenance from him and got 70% of the net value of the house they had bought ....incidentally I think it is somewhat telling that the poster in this thread doesn't seem to think she should even get the 10% back that she put in!! - A very rude awakening is imminent.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.