Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
husband refuses to deal with divorce (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
07 February, 2017 10:16AM
husband refuses to deal with divorce
shazam - 07 February, 2017 10:16AM
I started divorce proceedings more than 3 years ago.
My husband refused to get a solicitor and expected me to talk him through every stage and every form. He signed everything except the financial disclosure because he couldn't really be bothered to collate all his financial information.
I am now with someone else and living in my marital home which my husband vacated because he couldn't be bothered to pay for it and I can't afford to rent and pay the mortgage.
I own 50% of the marital property but have more capital in it than he does and we have a deed of trust drawn up before the marriage to protect that because my husband brought no financial contribution to the property or the marriage. We came to an agreement regarding the money in the property long before I met my new partner but my husband refused to deal with anything.
My husband employed a solicitor about 6 months ago and admitted that he has refused to deal with the situation, but it is still just as difficult to communicate. We still do not have full financial disclosure, so I proceeded with my decree absolute. I refuse to put my life on hold just because my husband refuses to deal with the divorce.

If I do nothing will my husband have to pursue me for a financial settlement? What will happen if he does nothing?

Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2017 10:46AM by shazam.
Re: husband refuses to deal with divorce
davidterry - 07 February, 2017 12:20PM
Bearing in mind that your ex husband seems to be a joint owner of the house you live in he can afford to do nothing until such time as you die or want to sell it. At that point he will want his share and he may well reckon that he gets a better return on his money if it tied up in the house.
shazam - 07 February, 2017 12:39PM
I would never dispute that he has a share of the house but will he have to make a claim on it when I die or if he wants his money from the property, how would he do that?
The house needs a lot of money spent on it, new roof, new pointing etc. to maintain the property and this was listed as required in the survey when we bought the house. I am prepared to pay for the work because this is my home, if my ex husband wants to claim his share of the property, can I claim half the money back for the work from him?
davidterry - 07 February, 2017 06:36PM
>>The house needs a lot of money spent on it, new roof, new pointing etc. to maintain the property and this was listed as required in the survey when we bought the house. I am prepared to pay for the work because this is my home, if my ex husband wants to claim his share of the property, can I claim half the money back for the work from him?

You would have a problem in doing so because neither the fact that he is a joint owner nor the deed of trust will have said that if you paid out such money it would change your share.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.