Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Changing address during divorce. (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
06 February, 2017 04:17PM
Changing address during divorce.
Sophia02 - 06 February, 2017 04:17PM
I am currently going through a divorce and am nearly at the stage to apply for my decree nisi. However, I have recently moved property. I have informed the court, and they told me to send a letter confirming that I have moved.

As I have moved out of the county, I have read online that the Court will no longer have jurisdiction to continue with the divorce. Does this mean that the divorce will be cancelled? Has anyone experienced this? I'm worried that the time and effort I have put in thus far will simply be destroyed.
Re: Changing address during divorce.
davidterry - 06 February, 2017 06:49PM
The time for working out whether a court has jurisdiction is whether the grounds for jurisdiction exist at the time the divorce petition is issued. If something like an address changes later in the proceedings that does not matter. The important thing is whether the court had jurisdiction at the point of issue. Of course, moving out of the country might prompt a court to look more closely at what was said about the grounds for jurisdiction at the point of issue but if the criteria stated in the divorce petition were met at the time of issue there should be no problem.
Andyk - 06 February, 2017 06:49PM
I wouldn't have thought so, given that Bury St Edmunds court deals with divorces from all over the place, not just Suffolk.
Sophia02 - 06 February, 2017 07:01PM
Thanks so much.

So the proceedings will not change venue?
davidterry - 07 February, 2017 12:22PM
>>So the proceedings will not change venue?

No, not unless one of the parties to the divorce requests it and there is a good reason for the request.
Sophia02 - 07 February, 2017 04:16PM
Thank you. I have one further question.

I am due to send forms D80A and D84, however, I want to attach evidence of adultery. I have multiple social media screenshots which state that my spouse's new girlfriend is pregnant with his children. To me this would be conclusive. The question is have is can I just send these in the envelope and make reference to it in the form? Or is there is a separate procedure for admitting evidence in support of my Statement of support?
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.