Ending the marriage- the process to decree absolute
Financial issues in divorce- ancillary relief
Divorce and Pensions
Divorce advice for men
Divorce for non residents
DIY divorces
Timescale - quick divorce or not
Wills & divorce
Legal Aid











Prenuptial Agreements
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships


Legal Stuff
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Need a divorce from abroad (4 Posts)
Started By:
17 January, 2017 11:45PM
Need a divorce from abroad
Eezeknoz - 17 January, 2017 11:45PM
I have been with my husband for 13 years and married 7,2 kids 6 and 11.We got married in the UK,he and children are British and I have Indifinate leave,we currently live in Zambia because of his job and we have been moving around Africa with his job,we have a home in the U.K. and visit when kids are on school holiday,we recently decided that the marriage isn't working and that we should go our separate ways,a week after returning from a holiday earlier than expected I caught him bringing a girl to our home and he says they have been together for 8 weeks.Since our marriage has broken the normal thing to do would be moving back to the UK for me and kids because there is no reason for us to be tagging along anymore,he is trying to force me to move to a country nearby so he can remain close to the kids,I want to move back home,I am really afraid of him because he is emotionally abusive when he doesn't get his way,I need to find schools for kids in the UK and he is stalling with this request of me staying near by,when I stand my ground he brings up the past and blames for everything and calls me names,he has used threatening words and even told me to kill myself,Since he has decided to start a relationship I feel it's unfair for him to want me to stay here when we broke up.I need advice on how to deal with this outside of the UK,I want to start divorce proceedings because I believe that is the only way we can get out of here,the problem is that he controls the finances,I need him to support us and pay school fees because the kids have been in private school all their lives.He is a CEO of a mining company and has held executive jobs before and I haven't worked for 11 years looking after the kids and moving around with him.Can he force us to stay in a country we don't want to stay in?How do I go back to the UK,how do I get him to continue supporting us,we have a home in U.K.,paid up and other properties in Southern Africa.I just want to get out of here at the end of the school year,I am afraid of him harassing me,he does this via texts messages and it makes my life miserable because I'm always jumpy when I get a text.Please help me urgently!!
Re: Need a divorce from abroad
davidterry - 18 January, 2017 03:17PM
Well, you can issue a divorce petition in the UK on the basis that is your husband's country of domicile and you do not need to be here in order to do that. You do not say how long the children have lived in the country in which you are now located but in general you cannot remove children from the country in which they normally reside without the permission of the other parent or else permission gained from the courts of that country. If they are otherwise removed then their return can often to enforced under the terms of the Hague Convention.
Re: Need a divorce from abroad
Eezeknoz - 18 January, 2017 04:15PM
Thanks for the reply Davidterry
We are in Zambia on his work permit(contract)but home is the UK for all of us,that's where our house is,his family and other children.my husband lives in a town where his work is and myself and kids in another for school and comes and visit.He agrees for us to move out of the country but he is telling me which one to move to,Zambia is not our home but U.K. is,does this mean even though we have decided to go our separate ways and my husband already started a relationship with another woman and all his unreasonable behaviour I need to remain in this country even though him and I don't want to be married anymore?The reason I'm here is because we wanted to be together but that's not the case anymore.Please don't tell me he can force me to remain here.Please advise me on what to do to be able to go back home.
Re: Need a divorce from abroad
Eezeknoz - 18 January, 2017 04:19PM
We have been living here for 2 years 4 months,we could move else where anytime he gets another job
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.