Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Keeping my home to live in after divorce (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
16 January, 2017 12:18PM
Keeping my home to live in after divorce
bengalgirl - 16 January, 2017 12:18PM
Hello,
I hope you can help me with this. I am in the process of getting a divorce with two years separation. We've been married for 25 years have no children and no mortgage. Each of us have assets that probably amount to about the same. I am 65 and he is 58.
Under no circumstances do I want to leave my home (joint ownership), and the very thought of it is making me ill.
With this in mind is it ever possible that an arrangement be made to allow one person to continue living in the home in peace until either they die, remarry or want to sell - and if any of these happen that the house be sold and the proceeds be split equally. The house being changed to Tenants in Common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2017 12:31PM by bengalgirl.
Re: Keeping my home to live in after divorce
Andyk - 16 January, 2017 01:06PM
You could come to that arrangement if you wanted but is that what you both want? Where is your husband going to live - how will he fund getting another place?
bengalgirl - 16 January, 2017 01:30PM
That isn't a problem as he has a place to live where he is very happy.
I only thought of this arrangement this morning and it would be the perfect solution for me.
I just wanted to know if this might be an arrangement that the court would agree to considering that our individual assets calculate to around the same amount.
Molly - 16 January, 2017 02:03PM
Am hoping a similar arrangement can be made between my partner and his ex wife.....will be interested in the answers to this question....
....bengalgirl...I hope you get a solution that works for you with an amicable agreement....
bengalgirl - 16 January, 2017 02:19PM
Thank you Molly x
davidterry - 16 January, 2017 03:25PM
There are important details missing here. Nothing is said about what the assets are and what the figures are. If X has a house worth £500K and Y has a house worth £500k that is one thing. However, if X has a house worth £500K and Y has a pension worth £500K that is quite another. What these assets are, the figures and where each party will live after divorce are all important. Bearing in mind that there are no children it is not necessarily fair that one spouse continues to live in a property jointly owned by the other for the rest of her life to the exclusion of the other joint owner. it is quite possible that a sale would be fairer but it very much depends upon the facts and the figures.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.