Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
prenup agreement (3 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
08 January, 2017 03:21PM
prenup agreement
ricky776 - 08 January, 2017 03:21PM
Hello

Not really sure where to start.

Me and my long term partner are getting married next year we both in our early 30s no children but after seeing what a divorce can do to a business with a family member having this problem and losing everything I was wondering what could I do to protect my two companies ltd and a soul trader

I know this might look bad as I’m not looking at breaking up never even crossed our minds but I have built everything up over the past 10 years and we have been together for only 4-5 years

We are buying our first home together this year and I 100% agree that’s 50/50 but I was thinking should I get a prenup agreement where it says anything business related etc. is mine vans/offices etc. Everything else can be 50/50

I have spoken to my partner and she said 100% agrees that my businesses are mine should anything happen she wouldn’t want anything anyway as I have put the hard work in but agrees what I said with everything else

Again sorry to put a downer on this but I guess I would rather be safe then not to be
Re: prenup agreement
jill_of_all_trades - 08 January, 2017 04:51PM
You can't predict the future which is why courts in this country can set aside prenups. There are all sorts of things that might happen where you might need to call on your fiancé to help out with the business and all sorts of things which might happen that will interfere with her being able to earn a reasonable living and that's before we start bringing potential children into the mix. Alternatively you might start running the businesses around the potential children and she might become a very high earner.

I am not a solicitor but I would suggest a prenup along the lines of stating your assets at the time of the marriage and agreeing that in the event of a split the assets will be divided so as to minimise the effect on the businesses as far as possible.
Re: prenup agreement
davidterry - 08 January, 2017 04:54PM
Frankly, the simplest is not to get married but to continue as you are. So long as you are unmarried you can choose what assets you want to hold jointly - such as property or bank account - and which you want to keep apart - such as your business. You lose that ability when you get married.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.