Cohabitees
Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
This is a UK based forum about divorce and related issues. Feel free to contribute. Your experiences or opinions may help others. The links on the left lead to basic information about most common divorce questions. The information opens in a separate window. You can use the search function to search the forum.
User: Log In Create A New Profile
Actions: New Topic Print View RSS
Search
History: Home UK Divorce Forum
Topic:
Short Marriage With No Kids (10 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
19 December, 2016 11:09PM
Short Marriage With No Kids
Nicki - 19 December, 2016 11:09PM
Hi,

My husband and I are married with no kids coming up to a year in 2 months but we're leaning towards a divorce.

Few facts-

We have been together 4 years

I came into the marriage with 2k savings, I earn 1k per month after taxes, I'm 22, my name isn't on the deed

He came into the marriage with 150k savings and a house owned out right which totals 100k, he earns 3k a month after taxes, he's 39

And he has a rather large army pension he can take in 2 years, roughly 80k

My question is when we are to divorce can I ask for half? As I would be homeless and I moved cities and left my old job for him.

I should also mention I am used to a certain lifestyle; exotic holidays yearly, a cleaner and nice gifts

Please advise
Many Thanks,

Nicki

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/12/2016 11:23PM by Nicki.
Re: Short Marriage With No Kids
Bubblegum - 19 December, 2016 11:39PM
Nicky, 50% sounds rather ambitious if you ask me. This is a very short marriage and you are still very young. Why will you be homeless? Surely, £1000 net income from your earnings would allow you to rent somewhere? I'm not saying you won't get anything, but just that I doubt it will be half.
Nicki - 19 December, 2016 11:48PM
Bubblegum, I have no family and where we live is very expensive and that is where I have my job I relocated to so I can't move. My credit isn't very good so it would be hard to find somewhere without a huge deposit. I just want to know what I can get otherwise I'll be experiencing hardship.
davidterry - 20 December, 2016 09:48AM
There are no children and you are aged 22. The pension, house and most of the assets were not mainly acquired during the course of your relationship.I don't think there would be any question of a court thinking it would be fair that you should receive half in these circumstances. That is not to say that you will come out of the four year relationship with nothing but I cannot see that it will be half.
Bubblegum - 20 December, 2016 05:01PM
Nicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bubblegum, I have no family and where we live is
> very expensive and that is where I have my job I
> relocated to so I can't move. My credit isn't very
> good so it would be hard to find somewhere without
> a huge deposit. I just want to know what I can get
> otherwise I'll be experiencing hardship.

Maybe you should focus on what you "need" rather than what you "can get". Have you discussed any of this with your husband? If not, I would suggest maybe approaching the subject in a manner which will not cause hostility i.e. maybe stress what your realistic needs are rather than state what you think you are entitled to and ask what he would feel is fair. At least then you will have a point at which to start negotiations from. If you are able to resolve matters amicably, it would save you both a lot of money in legal costs. Try to look at it from his perspective - he has probably worked hard to acquire assets and pensions to the value of £330k (mostly before the marriage). If the tables were turned - would you feel it's fair to have to hand over half to someone who hasn't contributed equally? I think you should focus on getting enough to support you for a couple of years, to ensure you can stand on your own two feet - maybe to re-train or get qualifications to help increase your earning capacity - then you can afford to pay for your own exotic holidays and cleaner!
deflateddad - 20 December, 2016 05:13PM
As a father who is being taken to the cleaners (excuse the pun) by a lazy, cheating, STBXW, I think you need a grip on reality. He's worked hard for what he has, and he treated you right during your short marriage. Move on, and let him move on, without gold-digging. If you think I'm harsh, I'm probably saying what a lot of people are thinking. I abhor English divorce law.
Nicki - 20 December, 2016 05:48PM
I only require LEGAL advice and if you can't provide that then comment elsewhere.
Bustedlanda - 11 November, 2017 08:21AM
This has got to be a joke, surely?
davidterry - 11 November, 2017 08:54AM
>>My question is when we are to divorce can I ask for half? As I would be homeless and I moved cities and left my old job for him.

I should also mention I am used to a certain lifestyle; exotic holidays yearly, a cleaner and nice gifts<<

Well, I am in a position to give you legal advice. Although you can ask for half you will not get it. The circumstances do not justify it or anything near it.
HatMan - 11 November, 2017 03:59PM
I look forward to hearing about your disappointment in due course, your attitude is beyond belief.
Goto Topic: Previous Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.