Judicial Separation
Changing surnames
Civil partnerships

Contact
Contact

Legal Stuff
Disclaimer
Topic:
Married In Ghana, How do I get divorced? (7 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
01 November, 2010 10:31PM
Married In Ghana, How do I get divorced?
skyepink - 01 November, 2010 10:31PM
I'm a 26 year old female, and a British Citizen. I married a Ghanian in 2008, we actually got married in Accra, Ghana. We had been together just over two years when we got married, and he was living in England at the time. After we got married things drastically changed, my husband lost his job, and this put so much strain on the relationship, but we both tried to work through it. My husband is now working professionally again for around the last 8 months now, but he was unemployed for 18 months in total. The problem is that his whole attitude and behaviour has not changed at all. He rarely spends time at home, and when he is home, he turns the atmosphere so sour, and we end up arguing. The fights have got so bad it has ended up being quite physical on both sides, which I know is wrong, but he finds any justification possible for his behaviour. The marriage has drastically changed my personality, and emotions, and he does not seem to care in the slightest. Due to the high tensions, and the fact I am finding it difficult to cope, the situation is just spiralling out of control. I have tried everything possible to make this marriage work, but he is just intent on living his own life, and not interesting in including me in it. He will not share anything with me, and gets aggressive when I discuss finances, or any other topic that man and wife should be able to talk about. He is very nasty at times, and I feel that if I don't do something about it, I will either have an emotional breakdown, or we will end up seriously hurting one another. I have asked him to leave on many an occasion, but he fights back saying he has a right to live there, as he has paid his way. Despite this not being the case when he was unemployed, he throws it back at me saying I made his life hell when he was out of work, and did not support him in any way at all, I always ask him why he chose to stay if that was the case, but he never answers, just gets angry. I have taken the house keys off him on several occasions too, but he comes back banging on the door, and makes such a loud commotion, I always back down and let him in, just to keep the peace with the neighbours and not to cause a scene.
I really do feel that there is no other choice but to file for a divorce, as sad as it is to admit, but I have to think about my own health and well being, as he clearly does not think about me in this way.

I really do not know where to start with this, and not sure if procedures will be different as we got married in Ghana. I really need someone's advice on all of this, and even some advice as to where to get some emotional help and counselling. The emotional battering that I have taken throughout this whole marriage has really left me quite fragile, it does nothing for ones confidence when the one person you rely on for emotional support calls you pathetic when your upset, and in need of someone's help.

If someone can please help me with my situation, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Re: Married In Ghana, How do I get divorced?
davidterry - 02 November, 2010 08:45AM
The fact that you were married in Ghana makes no difference to anything. You can seek a divorce here because that is where you live and where you are domiciled. It makes no difference where you were married and where you were married will not affect anything. You can seek a divorce in England now and do so immediately if you want. If a divorce is what you want then there is no problem about that at all.

From your husband's point of view he is Ghanaian. It is probably not surprising that he does not want a divorce or to move out. I assume he will want permanent leave to remain in the UK and, in due course, a British passport. Within that context the longer the marriage lasts the better as far as he is concerned. Whether that is in your best interests is another matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2012 10:43AM by davidterry.
jaybe - 16 October, 2012 03:35AM
I married in Ghana in 2002 and split with my ex-husband in 2004. I divorced him here and my ex-husband now has a British passport and lives here permanently. I have since re-married but we didn't divorce until 2009 because neither of us could afford it at the time. I don't know if the time scale makes a difference though.
Andyk - 16 October, 2012 08:03AM
That's really interesting Jaybe. In your post "Contact and Residency" you refer to your ex-wife, and in this one refer to your ex-husband !!!!
jaybe - 25 August, 2013 09:14PM
Andyk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's really interesting Jaybe. In your post
> "Contact and Residency" you refer to your ex-wife,
> and in this one refer to your ex-husband !!!!

2 separate issues, I'm female with a Ghanaian ex and my new husband used my log in regarding his nasty ex-wife from Laos. Nice to see you are so observant though! Oh and by the way, I still get on with my ex and the contact and residency issue unfortunately is still ongoing, even though we have a 3 and a half year old son who never sees his half brother!
LatDior - 06 March, 2018 11:18PM
lol get fucked Andyk
Andyk - 07 March, 2018 06:56AM
LatDior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol get fucked Andyk

Why thank you LatDior, that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in ages smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.